I don’t know about y’all, but I have a crush on spring clothes. Fresh plaids, gorgeous ginghams and pastels aplenty get me revved up and ready for spring! This season is of no exception! I hope y’all have received your Onward Reserve catalogue in the mail (love the old school approach mind you), or if you haven’t, I hope you’ve at least perused their website.
I share this vernal fashion affinity with my buddy Jay. Jay’s blog, Red Clay Soul, hits home with nearly every Southerner, for we have all been stained by the red clay – body and soul. Jay and I have the good fortune of traveling with our mutual Onward Reserve pals TJ and Will, writing blogs on our Southern heritage and of course, our favorite finds in the men’s fashion world. We got to chatting about our 2K14 wish lists from Onward and put together our respective notions. Take a look at Jay’s wish list here, and be sure to check ‘em out at The Gazette.
Here are this Farmer’s must haves for spring and into summer – threads and classic pairings that every Southern gent needs!
- If you don’t already have a Barbour Jacket, then make sure you invest in one this season – especially the navy waxed cotton. This is a piece that returns its investment hand over fist every year. The navy just makes it that much more classic, y’all.
- OR Glen Plaid Button Down – this periwinkle and brown duo is fantastic for spring and will carry you right into summertime. Blue and brown – can’t beat that combo with a stick!
- OR Shorts in sky and red – khaki shorts are fine but bump up your game with these two hues. They look great with just about anything!
- Irish Linen Field Jacket by Martin Dingman – Bring some summery, sandy hues into your wardrobe with this ticking weave jacket. Pair it with white jeans or pants for a sharp combo all season long or keep it casual with blue jeans and loafers. You know you have some spring and summer soirees to attend so might as well be the best dressed stud there.
- Martin Dingman Irish Linen Pant – if you do not own a pair of linen pants, these need to be your first! If you have some already, these will be your faves gents… Plaid detail inside and out make these even that much more awesome.
- Cotton Brothers Long-Sleeve Sport Shirts – take your pick fellas… any of these are amazing. Roll up your sleeves, strut your stuff with any of these traditional threads with a twist!
- Martin Dingman Newport Belt – let your more casual spring and summer vibes loose with these preppy, fun colored belts. And while you’re at it, grab a pair of MD driving shoes – the “pecan and lime” are just calling my name!
- AFTCO Shorts – I don’t know about y’all, but I LIVE in my AFTCO shorts just about yearround, but now I can wear them legitimately for the season. Stock up on every color guys – they’re the best fishing, swimming, lounging and traveling shorts around!
- Filson Luggage – hopefully you’ve been invited to the beach, river or lake this spring and summer. Make sure you pack in a classy fashion fellas!
- Martin Dingman Solid Pocket Squares – add a pop to any blazer. Every guy will have a blazer on at the party, you need to up the ante and show off your skills with this detail.
- Cotton Brothers Pique Polos – breathable and the perfect blend of cotton and elastine – trust me, these will be your favo polo all season!
- Coast Shorts and Shirts – sun or rain, surf or turf… you’ll need a Coast shirt and pair of shorts sometime this season. Stock up on this sharp Southern brand’s good looking wares.
- Southern Proper Plaid Shirt – ok y’all, this is THE shirt I’m jonesing for the most this season – I must have the navy and the pink pronto! Pair them with linen pants, jeans or shorts and you’re set with style for the season. Iron crisp for a party or tumble dry and wear to the beach – this is my go-to shirt for the spring and summer.
- Southern Proper Seersucker Sort – elastic and seersucker – what more could a Southern gent need? Grab both colors and sports these awesome shorts with Southern pride. Pair them with a plaid, a solid or a great gingham and you’ll be the toast of the town in these shorts!
- If you don’t have a Yeti, then what ARE you carrying your beer and iced libations in, guys? Get one ASAP!
- Jack Black – I’m addicted to their shaving cream for a clean summer shave and their sun guard and deodorant are exactly what we all need all season long. No need in being a wooly, smelly, sun burnt lobster ya’ll… Jack Black to the rescue!
Have y’all made your list yet? The warm seasons are long for us Southern boys – might as well stock and be styling the whole season. We have reputations as gentleman to uphold y’all, and part of that rep is being well-mannered, well-groomed and of course, well-dressed.
From this Farmer to you, happy spring!